[OM] Re: Why the 50mm is still the best lens?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why the 50mm is still the best lens?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:21:38 -0400
None of that awful digital stuff either.  :-)

Some time I'm going to have to force myself to go out with only a 50mm
(as I think we did in an early TOPE).  When I pushed myself out the door
the other day and into the park I was carrying faster lenses to
facilitate manual focus on the Canyon with its optional manual focus
screen (which wants no less than f/2.8).  I had the 85/2, 50/1.8 and
24/2.8.  The only time I tried the 50 it was too narrow.  I guess I've
lost the habit of zooming out with my feet as I think I could have done
for that shot.  Instead I put on the 24.  Now, if I was only carrying
the 50mm I'd have had to innovate as I did for the first 15 or more
years that I owned a camera.

Chuck Norcutt