[OM] Re: OK, Fidel, let's line them up and shoot them down . . .

Subject: [OM] Re: OK, Fidel, let's line them up and shoot them down . . .
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:17:57 -0700 (PDT)
Moose,
  Your version looks fantasmagorical (Boris' English, its good, trust me...:)
  Can you by any chance retrace your steps, I want to try what you did to the
original file.
  There are a lot of technical difficulties with this picture.  I hope your
approach works tho...The real reason for lack of detail in the foreground are
the thick fog-like vapors coming from the ocean.  It looks perfect on the small
jpeg you used, but might introduce some unwanted effects on the original where
the fog is clearly visible.  I remember trying to bring more detail from the
foreground by using the sharpening tool, but that produced ugly halos around
the edges of the lighthouse and uglier grain on the rocks.
  Once again, thanks for playing with it.
  Boris

  I found the responses interesting, and effective in responding to your
direct request. I have, not unexpectedly, a different approach. It seems
to me that the triangle of sky seems troublesome at least in part
because what should be the primary focus of the image is so flat it
doesn't hold the eye. If the lighthouse, rocks and surf are enhanced,
they add enough 'body' to the image that it seems complete to me without
messing with additional clouds.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Boris/PICT0568bw.htm>

Whether adding clouds is less 'pure' than adjusting tonality, I don't
know, or much care. I do know that my first reaction to the image was to
wonder why the splashing waves weren't whiter, which led to questioning
the whole tonal and contrast balance.

Cropping a little off the left side and top would put the lighthouse
light at the double rule of thirds position, if it is desired as the
primary subject.

Moose

 Check out  the hottest 2008 models today at Yahoo! Autos.