[OM] Re: [OT] Gallery horror story

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Gallery horror story
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:15:46 -0600
Long experience teaches that a lot of gallery owners are scum. Some are good
businessmen who run their businesses honestly and profitably. These are the
best. They are honest, they work hard for the artists they exhibit and
represent, and everyone makes money. Others are rich people who open a
gallery because they have a lot of money and nothing better to do. These
types are common in Santa Fe where I am...running a gallery is a popular
pastime for the trust-fund-babies out here. They vary..some are honest,
others cheats, but most do not care about the artists unless you're one of
their wealthy drinking buddies. The worst gallery owners are ones who
actively scam artists, seeing artists as cash cows to milk so they won't
have to go to the trouble of running an honest business, which is hard work
if you intend to make money at it.

Your friend met one of the truly bad ones. At least they got their work
back. The video probably makes the gallery owner look a LOT worse than the
artists involved so I doubt it ever sees the light of day...when he sobers
up he'll probably make the tape go away....

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design