[OM] Re: E500 + FL50 + OM lense

Subject: [OM] Re: E500 + FL50 + OM lense
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:08:13 -0400
I don't have any of these things except a 50mm f/1.4 and a T-32 so I'm
totally guessing.  Since the camera can't know anything about the lens
it would have to be used in a mode (aperture preferred or manual) where
it's not expected to control the aperture.  Some flash units operate by
knowing the focusing distance as reported by the lens.  But that's only
meaningful when the flash is not tilted or swiveled.  I know the FL-50
has a zoom head and I assume that it sets itself based on feedback from
the lens on focal length.  Of course, focal length of the lens doesn't
mean anything either if the head is tilted or swiveled.  So, if you
haven't already, try Av or manual modes and try bouncing the flash with
tilt and/or swivel.  See if that helps.  It might wean the camera from
any dependence on lens feedback.

And, yes, the T-32 will operate in auto mode just as well as it always
did.  In fact, Canyon's newest flash unit, the 580-EX II has quietly
reinstated normal auto mode operation which has been missing for many
years.  Unfortunately, off-the-film TTL has gone the way of the dodo
bird due to the high reflectivity of digital sensors.

Of course, Dr. Flash has always advised me to shoot flash in manual mode
only.  An "outdated" film era flash and a good flash meter will cost
less and outperform any TTL solution.  The T-32 is a good flash but only
has two manual power levels.  I still use them on lightstands outdoors
but in pairs which yields 5 power levels.  The Canyon 540-EZ doesn't
have a normal auto mode but does offer a manually controllable zoom head
and 7 manually controlled power levels.  Since this is also an
"outdated" film era TTL flash it can be had in BGN condition from KEH
for about $60.  Mount it on a Stroboframe bracket if you're concerned
about mismatched electrical contacts in the hot shoe.  You'll get better
results with the bracket anyhow.

Chuck Norcutt