[OM] Re: [OT] Need Help Re Termites

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Need Help Re Termites
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 06:59:41 +1000
Termites are photophobic - the tubes are to protect them against
light itself, rather than drying out. One solution is to open the
affected area to light - not often possible. Another to put sheet
metal caps on the foundation posts to stop them eating through but
mostly because they can't build a tube over a downward projecting
edge. The desert termites here, who build those wonderful air-
conditioned mounds -

http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/64492439
http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/64492437

- feed at night on dead grassy material.
The bait traps are full of a light woody material of the sort they
find irresistible and they carry it back to the nest to feed the
young, as would ants with live material.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx