[OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:44:47 -0600
Jim Couch wrote:
> Garth,
>
> I don't think you are correct here. I don't see the need for a manual
> focus lens in order to get light weight. Perhaps if you want/need a fast
> (f2/2.8) lens. But look at the Nikkor DX 18-55 F/3.5-5.6. This lens has
> Nikon's Silent Wave Motor built in, and yet only weighs 205 grams, just
> a few grams over the 190 gram Zuiko manual focus Zuiko 35-70 f3.5-4.5.
> It does not seem that the motor for the AF really has to add much weight.

I have no idea, Jim.  I'm not a designer, and nobody who *is* a designer
has weighed in on the choices and tradeoffs which Oly's been making.
I'm merely trying out argument points to see whether I can justify some
apparently odd decisions by Olympus.

But a question (and no, I'm not trying to pick a fight here): since so
many of you have pointed out the advantages of other systems, and the
disadvantages of Oly's choices, have you all effectively abandoned Oly
in your minds?  (Or in your purchase habits?)  It certainly sounds to me
like you should, since there appears to be little in Oly's offerings
that is of any appeal to you.

So what say the assembled masses?  Are you simply here out of nostalgia?

Garth