[OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:05:58 -0700
Garth

I am no designer either, or marketer for that matter. My point was that
Nikon has managed to make a AF lens that is close in weight to a light
OM lens (not size though)  :) so it is at least possible, and with a
larger sensor than the 4/3 sensor.

As for your question, I certainly can't answer for anyone else, but for
me I have certainly abandoned Olympus in my purchasing. In point of fact
nobody is making what I really would want. My issue with Olympus was
that when the 4/3 system was announced it sounded like something I would
want, the reality has been different. For me the E-3 is actually the
nail in the coffin. In many ways it is a fine camera, but for me I see
no advantage to the E-3 (and the 4/3 system) over what else is available
on the market, including my current camera the Nikon D200. Olympus
appears to be doing what everyone else is doing, relatively heavy 'pro'
cameras and lightweight 'entry level' cameras. No reason for me to
switch. I will continue to use the multiple systems I have in order to
meet my needs - D200 for 'serious' digital shooting, OM & XA for when I
am in the hills, Contax G for candids, and the Hasselblad for B&W. I had
hoped that with the 4/3 system I might be able to consolidate things a
bit, but it does not seem that Olympus wants to leverage the weight and
size advantages, at least at the upper end of the spectrum.

I have not completely written of Olympus, if they came out with what I
want I would seriously consider switching, but it does get harder the
longer I work with my Nikon gear. The investment both in terms of money
and learning curve gets harder to abandon the longer I go. Having said
that, i also would consider cameras from most other makers if they had
what I wanted.

My real reason for staying on the list is indeed nostalgia and the fact
that I like a lot of the folks here and enjoy the discussions and
'ambiance' if you will, of the list.

Jim Couch