[OM] Re: OT - Peter Lik!

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Peter Lik!
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 03:01:51 -0500
Marc Lawrence wrote:
> Paul Braun wrote:
>> My wife and I are in Vegas this week on vacation.  Last night, we ran
>> across Peter Lik's gallery in The Venetian -- whoa.
>> His only US galleries are here in Vegas - one at Mandalay Bay, one at
>> the Venetian, and one at Caesar's.  (Actually, he does have on in
>> Lahaina if you're in Hawaii).  If you're ever here, you really owe it to
>> yourself to see them.  His other galleries are all in his native Australia.
>
> One of them is just a walk down the hill from me, on the tourist strip.
> I've gone in there many times, on past holiday visits and a couple since
> I've been here. Did they do any of the lighting affects on any of the
> pictures while you were there, where they raise the illumination from
> nil to full, either on the b&w Sydney skyline, or that arch of rock:
>
> http://www.peterlik.net/itemph.asp?what='WG299'

I didn't ask them to - the ones I saw were all at full.  And I saw the
Sydney one as well as the arch.  These prints look like huge Cibachromes
lit from behind - it's eerie.

> ? It's even more impressive. My favourite shot is the one of the centre
> of the flower, where it just looks beautifully molten between the petals
> and stamens:
>
> http://www.peterlik.net/itemsquares.asp?what='WG369'

Saw that one.

> There is a photo I want to buy there (a b&w panorama of the Sydney Opera
> House shells):
>
> http://www.peterlik.net/itemph.asp?what='WG357'

Saw that one, too.

> but I'll probably end up with the b&w Sydney skyline, as I think it's an
> unlimited print, whereas I'm not sure about the former. Unfortunately, I
> just bought a print (from a painting) of one of David Hart's Stations of
> the Cross series ("The Flogging") to brighten the walls, and I'll
> probably have to leave it a bit before the next purchase.

I would be thrilled with an affordable print of "Heaven on Earth", the
shot of the Grand Canyon that has inhuman DOF.  You can see fine rock
detail from right up close all the way out miles into the distance and
down to the floor of the ravine.  It's scary.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon