[OM] Re: How Big Can You Print

Subject: [OM] Re: How Big Can You Print
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:05:17 -0700 (PDT)
> Thom Hogan's interesting article on camera resolution and printing
> or why you need way more than 21MP to get a good 24x36 inch print
> and why 8MP is enough for a 13x19.
> http://www.bythom.com/printsizes.htm

I hate to say this, but he's full of it.  This print pixel-peeping
garbage is nonesense.  I would challenge anybody and everybody on
this list to truely test the resolution of your printer and viewing.
Those who think we can identify 1/300" details are dillusional. It
ain't gonna happen.

As further proof of Thom's misplaced anal-retenticism, to follow his
theory through, absolutely NO image of his from a 35mm Nikon film
camera could ever be enlarged larger than 5x7.

An image can be enlarged to the point where the resolution dropoff is
disturbing to the viewer. Period.  This is TOTALLY subject dependant.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com