[OM] Re: How Big Can You Print

Subject: [OM] Re: How Big Can You Print
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:48:07 -0700
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> OK. so I have a 39MB TIFF scan of a 35mm negative.  How large of a  print
> should that be able to produce with good quality?
Hard to say. That's not a very big scan. My 4000 dpi, 16 bit TIFF scans
from 35 mm run about 120 mb. A lot depends on the film, your tolerance
for - or love of - grain, the resolving power of the film and the
technique that went into the original exposure.

I have some film images on modern film that have slightly bothersome, to
me, grain at 8x10, no matter how good the scan. I've acquired grain
reduction software since then and my post processing technique has
improved, so maybe they are ready for bigger prints one of these days.

A soft film image doesn't get any better with better scanning.

Moose