[OM] Re: Voigtlander 125/2.5

Subject: [OM] Re: Voigtlander 125/2.5
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:58:05 -0400
Wayne,

I do have the Z. 135mm macro (thanks, Jeff)  and the Viv S1 90mm but
alas no Kiron.  Moose is quite skilled at experimental design with such
things
and is welcome to perform a comparison test, perhaps with his next NE
trip.  I suspect this is comparing degrees of excellence.  Paul had
performed some detailed analysis of the Kiron vs Viv s1 at 1:1 mag.  I
have a long thread saved somewhere form Pnet on that as well.  Both are
very nice with the final verdict giving the edge in res to the Viv s1
and an edge in contrast to the Kiron.  Big Foot clearly loses somewhat
less light at higher mags than the Viv s1 (no clue with the Kiron) and
I prefer the longer FL.  The lack of tripod mount is a negative.
However, it is very finely engineered with very precise focusing. I
have found few naysayers in researching this lens.  I will keep and use
all three.
Mike

Mike,

Will you be p[osting some comparison shots with the other lenses you
have in
that range ?

I'm particularly interested in how it compares to the Kiron which I'm
quite
impressed with.

...Wayne

> usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
>

> Yes, Big Foot is quite a nice character once you get to know him and
> become accustomed to his heft.? He is quite compact with no extension
> however, and beautifully constructed.??? It is the fastest, longest
lens
> that goes to 1:1 in OM that I know of.
> He works nicely chasing critters with flexibility in the Mag, good
> working distance and background control.
>
> I had related the story of Big Foot a few weeks ago.? I had scoured
the
> planet for one.? Stephen Gandy at Camerquest responded to my inquiry
> regarding the chance of his obtaining one with the one word e-mail
> "none."? The Mayalsian dealer in passing stated he had spotted one in
> store in Tokyo a few months back.? Keiji Kato an optics tech at
Cosina
> amazingly went and picked it (? 3 now) and sent it to me with billing
> via Camerquest.?
> It has beautiful bokeh, very sharp and is APO except when getting
close
> to 1:1 when the pixel peepers would call the Viv s1 90mm better with
> little to no CA.? The light loss at full extension is about 2 stops
(I
> have not made out my chart yet) which the Viv S1 loses just with the
> matched TC.? The Kiron is no slouch and I am not selling my Zuiko 135
> which is lighter though only goes to 1:2.? Perhaps Moose can
personally
> compare them with his next N Eng trip.? I have some photos of Big
Foot's

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/voigtlander_lanthar_125_25/index.

http://mail.aol.com