[OM] Re: How Big Can You Print

Subject: [OM] Re: How Big Can You Print
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:12:50 -0400
At 09:44 PM 10/23/2007, Sandy wrote:

>Say 30" by 40" is 1200 sq in and you want 300 dpi so 9,000 dots
>per sq in. Need over to 100 megapixels.

I'd be satisfied right now with printing 24"x30" max so I only need
~65mp.  :-)  Maybe I need to drag out the Blad, replace my slide
scanner with one that will handle medium format, and try shooting 120
Velvia again.  That should get me about halfway there MP wise which
might be, quality wise, a little better than where I am now.

>Break out the view camera!

I tried that once and trying to compose an upside down reversed image
just isn't something that I'm cut out for!  (I'm artistically
challenged and have a hard enough time even with the "normal" view in
an SLR/DSLR.)  What is it with people that shoot view cameras
anyway?  Are their brains wired differently that those of us with
normal brains? ;-)

>Or start stitching multiple digital shots together. 10 Mp camera
>less maybe half for overlap; maybe a 24-shot pano?

I admire the folks that shoot some of the panos that I've seen but I
do have things that move in some of my landscape stuff - clouds,
waves, running water.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson