[OM] Re: First 330's

Subject: [OM] Re: First 330's
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 03:08:48 -0700
Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Damned with faint praise!

Well, I hope not. It's always a dilemma; how to praise and offer what I
hope may be constructive criticism at the same time.

One clue is that I don't waste my time beating up on an image I don't
like. If I really dislike an image, yet someone bothered to post it, I
figure it's just a matter of difference of taste, and I'm certainly not
qualified to comment. "That's rubbish" is not generally helpful. :-)

And as often as not, others will have nice things to say about it,
confirming my suspicion about my dearth of taste. And there are a lot of
images out in the world that I find either boring or actually
distasteful, yet which are lauded by others and sometimes sold for real
money. There are some successful pros who's work just doesn't speak to me.

On the other hand, when I like an image, I figure I may be on much the
same wave length as the one who posted it. And thus those things that I
feel would improve it for me might be of possible interest/use to the
one who created it.

I also know how it feels to post an image that just knocks me out -
and...nothing.... I'd like to think it would at least engage someone
enough to respond, even if with criticism. Occasionally, other members
have made a wistful comment to that effect about what they have posted.
the image I have had as wallpaper for months drew no comments at all
when I posted it. Yet it stays, because it just pleases me to see it. A
friend came over the other day and loved it too. Yet posted at 800
pixels wide - phffft. Actually, size is a big issue. Some images that
look good big just have nothing at a small size.

So I try to respond in some way to as many image posts as possible, but
don't always have time or energy. It's weird, really; sometimes I don't
say anything because an image or set of them doesn't engage me. And
sometimes I don't because I don't have the time and energy for the
response I would like to make.

So, for example, the recent wedding pics aren't of much interest. I look
at a few, if only to see what a listee is looking like lately, but a sea
of pics of folks I don't know doing all those predictable things.....
With Chris, I've just done both. The wedding shots engaged me for a
couple of minutes and I said nothing about them. The Turkey pics I spent
a lot of time looking at. There are many I like and yet they are so many
about which I would like to comment, both in praise and with
suggestions, that I haven't done it. I hope I will. Sometimes, they are
just too small or hard to access to have any real reaction to. I didn't
say anything about Bill's recent award winners simply because the linked
images are too tiny to engage my attention, except to wish they were
bigger, so I could see if I like them or not.

Moose