[OM] Re: E-1 woes... wise men input needed

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 woes... wise men input needed
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:54:01 -0400
Johann,

Does the camera work at all at this point? If you are able to access the
camera menu *without* the camera connected to the computer change the
connection mode back to storage. Once you are able to switch that function
back you should get to the memory card folders as you have previously done.
Confirm that it is working before proceeding to the firmware check.

Once you have confirmed the camera is working ok move onto the firmware
check. With the camera still disconnected from the PC go back into the menus
and switch back to PC Control mode. Plug the camera into the PC and once
your OS recognizes the camera is attached and installs whatever drivers it
feels necessary you can start Olympus Master. Now select the update process
and follow the prompts as required. I will note that if you are using Win XP
you may need to download the XP Studio driver from Olympus to get Master to
see the camera as connected for the update (hopefully you should be able to
bypass this step if you are using Master 2). Assuming all goes well up to
this point you should be able to see the version of the camera and upgrade
if required. Regarding custom settings, if you intend to update the firmware
you will lose the custom settings so note them down somewhere before
commencing the upgrade.

If you disconnected the camera in the middle of attempting to the update and
the camera is now non-responsive or behaving erratically when not attached
to a computer it may require you to send it in to Oly for service. Since you
don't mention anything close to that situation in your email I am pretty
sure you are safe from this option.

Regarding memory card formats if you have formatted the card in an external
reader it is worth reformatting in camera. The camera format while related
to the way that PCs work is often different enough to prevent the camera
from accessing the card until formatted in camera. Also it is wise to only
let the camera write to the card. I always perform read only operation from
external readers and only delete images or do formats in the camera the card
is to be used in.

HTH, Dan S.