[OM] Re: Attn. Dr. Flash: Radiopopper update; yours for only 350!

Subject: [OM] Re: Attn. Dr. Flash: Radiopopper update; yours for only 350!
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 19:26:56 -0400
Thanks for your comments Chuck,
Odd that the Pocket Wizard became stasndard enough to have its
transmitter included in the Sekonic---not too cost effective.
Think I'll get a spare yabe transmitter at least.
Regards to Dr. Flash and Dr. Focus,
Mike

Them what shoots only manual don't have to worry about TTL flash
support
for their cameras.  You can buy a really good incident/flash meter for
much less than this radiopopper and the meter will always do a much
better and more accurate job for you.  I like the Sekonic L-358 because
it has a reasonable price and also does ambient/flash ratios which
gives
you perfect control over fill flash.  Fill flash is right when the
meter
reads 20-30% flash vs ambient.  Mine also has the built-in Pocket
Wizard
transmitter but I don't use it since I won't pay the freight for a
Pocket Wizard.  You can achieve the same result by attaching a yabe
transmitter to the PC cable connection on the meter.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/221078-REG/Sekonic_401358_L_358_Fl
ash_Master_Meter.html>

The cheap yabe transmitters are certainly more prone to failure than a
better quality piece of gear but any piece of gear can fail and so you
should have backup... especially if the backup is cheap like the yabe
transmitters.  I have 5 of them.  I typically don't use more than two
at
a time although I have used as many as four at once for background
light
in a really large reception hall.  Normally it only takes one or two
since the other strobes are usually close enough that they can be
triggered by their built-in optical slaves (Alien Bees).  I also use
2-4
T-32's with umbrellas on light stands for portability outside.  Then I
need two receivers if I'm using two light stands.

Chuck Norcutt

http://mail.aol.com