[OM] Re: First CF card failure

Subject: [OM] Re: First CF card failure
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:21:35 -0400
On Tuesday, October 30, 2007 05:43, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> At the moment I'm reading a most interesting book - Black Swan by
> Nicholas Taleb. About the impossibility of predicting catastrophic
> changes.

> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On 30/10/2007, at 7:49 PM, Moose wrote:
> > As with Marc's story, and others in this thread, the real idiot is the
> > one who should have know better when not under pressure, the control
> > designer.

I remember a conversation I had with the project manager on the project that I
was working on. We were talking about the Union Carbide disaster in bhopal
India. His contention was that we didn't really know how to manage large
projects. He believed that we didn't have too many problem, not because we
were good but that it took several things going wrong at the same time for
someone to get in trouble. In other words we are lucky.

or otherwise encourage luck choices over well reasoned choices. The person
who preaches caution very seldom has as much influence as the person who says
lets just do it. I'll get off my soap box know.
-Doug