[OM] Bamboo (OT) (was: pictures speak louder than words...)

Subject: [OM] Bamboo (OT) (was: pictures speak louder than words...)
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:59:14 +1000
"Bamboo" covers, from memory, nearly 1000 species of grass, and I don't
think all of them are voracious consumers of land, though some are known
for it. Some basically clump, and spread very slowly, though the others
that spread by "runners" can be much harder to control. Some of the
larger species can grow up to a metre a day in height. The folks next
door have a nice tall stand as a screening between our house and theirs,
and, apart from the leaves it constantly drops on our side, it's quite
nice and not an invasive type. Further out in the hinterland, in a
couple of nurseries and at one superb restaurant, there are ornamental
"forests" of tall clumping varieties (the restaurant uses the shoots in
their cooking), and their mild, deep clatter of trunks in the wind is
quite meditative to sit in or walk through.

You'd probably want to watch which species you got though. :-)

Cheers,
Marc (still removing the stolons of fishbone fern from his raised,
backfence garden, where it had totally taken over and was spilling over)
Noosa Heads, Oz