[OM] Re: Decisions, decisions..

Subject: [OM] Re: Decisions, decisions..
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 09:14:03 -0400
While I very much like my 5D it was bought to satisfy some very specific
criteria related to wedding and other event photography.  It provides
acceptable image quality at very high ISO for venues where flash can't
be used.  But flash is used as the main light probably 80% of the time
and at ISO 400 where the 5D provides nearly noiseless performance.  It's
also used with (very heavy) constant aperture 2.8 lenses which allow the
5D to focus very fast and very reliably and the constant aperture
assures no change in aperture as the lens is zoomed.  That's important
when all exposure is set manually.  It's also important for daylight
fill flash (most of the remaining 20% of shots) that the 5D's sync speed
goes to 1/200th which can be augmented in bright sun by dropping the ISO
down to 50.

But it doesn't have built-in IS (unnecessary with flash), live view, an
articulating view screen, weather seals and probably many other things I
can't think of at the moment.  Most certainly it won't mount your DZ
lenses or your FL-50 (but I'd sell that TTL stuff anyhow :-)).  By the
time you get through swapping out all your Oly gear for Canon
equivalents you'll have rather thoroughly emptied your wallet.

I don't think we know what the E-3 image quality is or will be but it's
pretty certain that the E-3 will not match the 5D in the extremes.  On
the other hand, how many 20x30's do you intend to make?  I'm sure the
quality of an 8x10 or 11x14 E-3 image shot at ISO 100, 200 or maybe even
400 will probably be indistinguishable from a similar 5D shot.

There are probably near competitors to the DZ 7-14 (such as Moose's
recommended $300 Tamron 17-35 which I may buy myself) and you can save a
lot of money by buying non-Canon glass.  But the 17-35 doesn't really
need image stabilization like the longer lenses.  If you want IS on your
long lenses on a Canon body then Canon is almost the only game in town
and you will pay dearly for the privilege.  The equivalent IS Canon lens
to your 50-200 is the 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS which is 1-1/3 stops slower
and about 2/3 more expensive than the DZ.  Moose will say you can avoid
the IS by raising the ISO a couple of clicks but that is a less
compelling position with a newer camera promising improved ISO and
anti-shake performance... assuming it delivers.

You also have to consider that the 5D is getting rather long in the
tooth in Canon digital years.  The replacement can't be far away and I
suspect that it will look a lot like a 40D with a bigger sensor and, of
course, a bigger price.

Yes, the Canon is your only other choice for putting the OM Zuikos on a
digital body but I wouldn't allow that to sway me from anything.  Given
what you've already got in hand I think moving to a 5D is really a tough
sell.  The only real justification I see is that you absolutely have to
have the highest image quality available and at high ISO.  You'll pay a
lot of money for the privilege and give up a lot of other very nice and
very useful features.

Chuck Norcutt