[OM] Re: In-camera BW vs. creating a BW image during PP

Subject: [OM] Re: In-camera BW vs. creating a BW image during PP
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 12:13:00 +1000
Ali Shah wrote:
> Most cameras (I say most because I came across a DSLR
> that does not have this feature) have a black and
> white mode. However, I am finding that many people
> prefer converting to BW using a software (i.e,
> lightroom or photoshop. I realize that when you shoot
> BW in RAW - you are just not seeing the colors tho the
> sensor retains the color information.
>
> Shooting in BW mode or converting during PP...which
> one is better? I like the idea of being able to view a
> BW image while still on the scene and making
> adjustments on the fly. I had a dicussion in another
> forum and everyone else is saying that conversion
> during PP is better.

PP is "better" in what way? If you are shooting in RAW, and using the BW
mode for the benefit of assisting you in seeing a form of result, "on
the scene", that is closer to what you hope it to end up as, then it's
not really a "which one is better" situation, as you can do both (with
the option to also have the colour information in case, as sometimes
occurs, you decide the colour ends up the "better" shot). BW conversions
and adjustments on the computer later on, during post-processing, are
possibly/probably "better" in that there are obviously a lot more
options during that phase, but I'm not sure why using it in the way you
state would be "worse" (or why the question exists)?

Maybe I'm missing something, yeah?

It sounds to me like your "idea of being able to view a BW image while
still on the scene" is the ideal way of further assisting that whole
"seeing in black and white" thing. I'd certainly use it that way.

In the end though, I guess it's whatever floats your boat.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz