[OM] Re: In-camera BW vs. creating a BW image during PP

Subject: [OM] Re: In-camera BW vs. creating a BW image during PP
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 03:23:03 +0100
Le vendredi 02 Novembre 2007 02:32, Ali Shah a écrit :

> Shooting in BW mode or converting during PP...which
> one is better? I like the idea of being able to view a
> BW image while still on the scene and making
> adjustments on the fly. I had a dicussion in another
> forum and everyone else is saying that conversion
> during PP is better.

IMHO, it's not really a matter of better vs. worse, rather a matter of tailor
made vs. one size fits all. See your computer ? It has at the very least 10²
more computing power and memory than your DSLR. Moreover, the software of
your dslr is very rough and probably makes no provision for you to alter the
parameters of the embedded BW conversion. On the other hand, even a very
basic graphic software has a helluvah lot of sliders and options to alter
this, color layer by color layer if you wish to (like shooting with filters,
just afterwards). Of course, if you're only using the 'convert to BW'
function, you are exchanging one set of parameters for another, and you can
as well trust your camera. But digging into the controls of the software
gives PP conversion an incredible edge over the camera BW mode.

--
Manuel Viet