[OM] Re: E-3 User Comments

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 User Comments
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:49:10 -0500
On 11/2/07, Daniel Sepke <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am starting to wonder if the logic that lead to the change of hard to soft
> switch has to with how the MF design of the SWD lenses works. IIRC the new
> lenses are being promoted as having some sort of mechanical manual focus
> rather than the focus by wire system that has been the standard till now.
> Perhaps with the new lenses you just grab the MF ring and the camera lets
> you focus regardless of the mode?
>
> I imagine I won't figure out how much I will get on with this change until
> the E-3 lands at my house. Like Donald notes, I find my myself drawn in to
> buy this one quite badly right now :)
>
> Dan S.

Not happy about having to switch to MF by menu, since the very great
appeal of the larger VF is manual focusing for action stuff.  I hope
you are right in the mechanical focus hypothesis, but one wonders what
would be the effect with older lenses.  (It was heartening anyway to
read that the old DZ 50-200 works well AF-wise and IS-wise with the
E-3.)

Still -- this is the only negative I can pull from the various
reports.  The fact that the camera doesn't have Live View A doesn't
affect me nearly as much.  The delay of LV B follows the capture
moment.  If it preceded it, that would be bad.  In other words, there
IS no delay.  Of course you can't use LV B for sports.  Does anyone
really use LV A that way?  You could, but would you?  (Not I at least
-- maybe I ought to try it!)

All in all, I agree with Dan and Donald.  I am checking the finances
and framing the conversation with the Mrs.

Joel W.