[OM] Re: Health Care rant OT (Was Buying in Hong Kong)

Subject: [OM] Re: Health Care rant OT (Was Buying in Hong Kong)
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 18:42:47 -0400
Nah. Actually, Bush is doing the right thing for what I'm sure are
all the wrong reasons. This duct-taped health care for children is
just another way to let insurance companies off the hook by making
the government guarantee their profit margins. Pretty soon, they'll
only be insuring people who never file a claim.

The health care system in the U.S. is so damn broke the scope of the
breakage is more than most of us can even comprehend, let alone
figure out how to fix. If we keep mandating private coverage, we're
going to keep screwing ourselves because the insurance companies will
always win, regardless of which party holds Congress or the White House.

The U.S. already publicly funds health care for the poor (Medicaid)
and the elderly (Medicare) and many states such as my own (Maine)
have health care for children (Mainecare). Am I the only one that
sees the need to just join 'em at the middle and be done with it?
(I'm sure I'm not, but you get my drift.)

I wish someone could show me where competition in the marketplace has
resulted in significantly better care at a significantly reduced
price. I'm damned if I can find such a place. I've been working for
the same company for four years now. Every year our coverage has been
downsized and our contribution has been upsized. If I added Esteemed
Wife to my policy, I'd be paying my employer every two weeks instead
of the other way around.

All I find across our fruited plains are health care providers and
health insurance companies whining and wailing and grinding their
teeth about how they are losing their shirts--but they're doing it on
cell phones while wheeling their Lexi through traffic. When was the
last time you saw a hospital CEO or health insurance company CEO
driving a Yugo? Or even a Ford Escort?

Eh? Eh?

--Bob, in bomb-throwing Nihilist mode.