[OM] Re: Health Care rant OT and another cut at it. Even some on-topic s

Subject: [OM] Re: Health Care rant OT and another cut at it. Even some on-topic stuff.
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 01:31:17 -0400
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> the insured (that would be you  and me) suffers a small
> loss (the payment of a premium)
In terms of health insurance, it is suffocatingly NOT small, and causing
huge problems here in the US as people are choking on those fees. Most
employers are not tossing their employees free or low cost insurance.
There are better ways to get all citizens healthy.
> the insurance
> companies collect premiums and pay claims and as a  business hope to make a
> profit.

And there's enough gobs of profit in that industry to have many
insurance professionals able to casually pick up a phone and have
someone build a new custom house for them on their land. I can't, nor
will I ever be able to - especially with rates as they are.
>   They tend to do that (pay  claims) with a greater efficiency than
> government bureaucracies.

Far too many inaccurate myths on this subject. Just not true. Many
countries provide full health benefits to their citizens, and care is
NOT slower or "less", or lower quality than the US. In some places,
QUALITY of care is used as a basis for pay bonuses to doctors, etc - any
many instances is better than the US.

> When you place the insurance companies in the lion's den for the high cost
> of health care, please be sure they have company.  Include the following as
> causes of high health care cost:
>
> 1) Lawyers (need I say more?)
> 2) Doctors, who have a high cost of doing business due in large part to  #1.
> 3) Drug companies.
> 4) Medical supply companies.
> 5) Hospitals

Good point. All way, way out of hand here in the US. Seeing the movie
"Sicko" has some very accurate info that can be picked out of it, and
shouldn't be just dismissed.
> 6) And lets not forget the patient.  How about our going to  the doctor every
> time we sneeze or
> cough (over utilizing the system.)
All systems around the world deal with this. Therefore is null as a
point in defense of the US system.
> It  is
> you and me who pay and we pay it every time we use the health care  system.
> The discussion of greed is not limited
Those preferring the US "status quo" are usually those very comfortable
financially who don't even notice the money missing as they merrily pay
their premiums - their lifestyle not affected in the slightest, or those
whose companies throw full coverage at them, and then continue it for
the rest of their lives, or staunch republicans who don't care WHAT they
do as long as the idea is republican based (though religion - or what
they think is the "correct" religion - is becoming a stronger
characteristic of the republican party).

The fear of the US government taking away ALL its citizens worries of
whether they will be given the fullest treatment seems to cause the
mental image that Stalin himself is going to show up at the door and
tell one of his soldiers to go to you and inject your chemotherapy
drugs. That's ridiculous, and if other country's full government medical
systems have their faults, each also has its merits. The US should try
to take the best from all, and correct for repeating others' faults.
Raise taxes on cigarettes considering how many packs are sold; end this
bloatedly expensive war (how much health care could 2.4 trillion dollars
have paid for); and stop allowing the overly freaking rich millionaires
(and billionaires) to pay a lower tax percentage than middle and lower
"classes". They're the ones that won't even notice the money missing.
Their lifestyle won't be affected, and they'll still be millionaires.

I take pictures with my Pentax K10D, and still have all my OM bodies &
lenses.