[OM] Re: Health Care rant OT (Was Buying in Hong Kong)

Subject: [OM] Re: Health Care rant OT (Was Buying in Hong Kong)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 21:48:10 -0800
> From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I wish someone could show me where competition in the marketplace has
> resulted in significantly better care at a significantly reduced
> price.

Well, I moved to Canada partly due to better health care, so
"competition" in the global marketplace, at least, is working. :-)

The US spends 16% of GDP on health care, over twice as much as the
nearest competitor. Canada, Japan, and Germany all have universal free
(or nearly so) health care at only 7% of GDP.

That means there's a lot of people in the US sucking off the health
care teat. Don't expect them to be weaned easily.

:::: Don't anthropomorphize computers -- they hate it when you do
that! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/99-3024-31> ::::