[OM] Re: Decisions, decisions..

Subject: [OM] Re: Decisions, decisions..
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:12:22 -0800 (PST)
Chuck wrote:
> I'll put IS with flash in the nice to have category.  I don't
> usually drag the shutter much more than 1/30 second and camera
> motion is usually not apparent but subject motion is.  I should
> probably actually be shooting at 800 or even 1600 and using a
> faster shutter since most of these shots are party shots and are
> unlikely be used above 4x6 or 5x7 size.  Here, as Moose likes to
> point out, high ISO performance is better than IS.  But the E-3
> looked pretty good at 1600.

I've only been using the dragged-shutter for motion routine for the
past 12 months or so. The acceptance of it has been wonderful!  It
turns out that people really like the look.  It's not for everything,
but it does liven up the party/dancing shots a lot.

But it is a technique that takes experimentation to figure out. Oh,
and you really need rear-curtain sync to do it too.

As to IS vs ISO, Moose is generally right, but when the light is low,
we're already shooting at extremely high ISO anyway so anything to
help my own jitters is a good thing.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com