[OM] Re: [OT] Online Photo sharing sites

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Online Photo sharing sites
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:53:02 +1000
Mike Butler wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> A few days ago there was some talk about Flikr and other photo sharing sites
> that as I recall, was more centered around the user interface.  I was just
> asked which sites do not try to take your copyright?  Someone here mentioned
> Smugmug for ease of use, how does it fare for copyright issues?
>
> I seem to remember a recent lawsuit against Flikr for selling the photo of a
> young girl at a church function that was subsequently doctored and used to
> sell condoms or some such.  I have heard similar issues with Snapfish, Kodak
> and others.  What can we do short of setting up our own website?

I've not heard that particular story, but there is the one about a
girl's photo being used on a Virgin Mobile Australia ad' campaign.
However, this related to the option for Flickr's users to upload their
photos with varying 'Creative Commons' licenses attached. I do not
believe that is a requirement of the site, and from memory you retain
all normal rights to photos you upload, with the option to choose the
Creative Commons license:

http://www.flickr.com/help/photos/#87

In the above case, the photographer basically uploaded that photo to
Flickr with the Creative Commons license for free, attributed use.
Virgin Mobile Australia took him up on that. The girl was not happy how
Virgin Mobile Australia used it, feeling mocked (and also bringing up
the non-existent "Model Release" aspect) - see can; see can-opener; see
worms.

Cheers,
Marc (I am not a lawyer) Lawrence
Noosa Heads, Oz