[OM] Re: OT Audis, was New Picture Posted

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Audis, was New Picture Posted
From: "siddiq@xxxxxxx" <siddiq@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 09:44:15 -0800

On Nov 6, 2007, at 9:30 AM, AG Schnozz wrote:

>> Agree with the comments about needing loads of grunt for 130+ My S4
>> would easily sail through 130 but the R32 just doesn't have the
>> muscle.
>
> Ok, I've driven a race-ready 911 turbo at Waktins Glen years ago. It
> was used for a high-speed driving course.  Scared the snot out of me
> flying into turn-1 (wetted down with water and the instructor locks
> up the rear brakes and i have to drift it through the corner without
> taking out the sandtrap.
>
> As far as that 130mph threshold, well, my RX7 could just barely do
> it, but the convertable tended to get a bit light in the steering.
> The third-gen RX7 I test-drove took me right up to it so quickly I
> have no idea how fast it would top out at, but it was faster than I
> wanted to go.

The fastest I got up to was 125ish rock solid stable (indicated,
which was awfully close to my calcs). Still had grunt left (and this
is in a piddly 180some HP engined E36 BMW 325 with close to 200k
miles on it, but short gearing on the man. trans, taching ~5500rpm).
Man the thing would come alive around 5500. glorious sound. If
conditions were better (and i was gutsier) wanted to run it flat into
the US-imposed 128 limiter...