[OM] Re: OT Mercedes Benz

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mercedes Benz
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:30:36 -0600

 MBs are not cheap to repair (both labour and parts).
Never owned one myself, thanks to my parents experience.

General advice in North America is to avoid dealers like the plague and use
competent independents.
Oddly, here it was just the opposite. The "top" local independant was higher
in price than just about anything short of air expressing the car to the
factory. Being German, he held slavishly to the factory recommended services
for each interval or repair. That meant that when you got your oil changed,
you also got your seat tracks greased. I knew someone that had the
windshield washer pump fail. The MB part was (in the seventies) over $125.
The very same part, identical in every way including label, but packed in a
VW box? $25! This guy refused to install it, and he knew damn well what was
going on.

In his defence, he retired early and well.

Bill Pearce