[OM] Re: OM lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: OM lenses
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:42:35 -0700
Matthew Granger wrote:
> Cheers Chuck
>
> I am really looking for a wide/very wide angle like 18/21/24mm. Also the
> 35-80mm f2.8 zoom.
>
> And it would need to be sent to Australia.

Matthew:

Each of the prime lenses you mention are certainly wides or very wides
in 35mm format, but if you mount them on a Four-Thirds format camera,
you lose that width, because only 1/4 of the image circle gets
effectively projected onto the imaging chip of the Oly DSLR.  Thus, an
18mm OM-mount lens, on the Oly digi, would only give you the same FOV as
a 36mm lens would on a 35mm film camera.  Since the 18/3.5 OM-mount lens
is one of the rarest and most expensive of the OM primes, this would be
a financially inefficient way of trying to get "wide" on an Oly DSLR.

And the 35-80/2.8?  Has a FOV of 70-160mm (35mm equivalent) on an Oly
DSLR.  It's also a rare and costly lens, even used.

If you're trying to go wide, *really* wide, on an Oly DSLR, you need to
think about buying the new Digital Zuikos designed for the Oly DSLR.
Sorry, but mounting old OM wides on an Oly DSLR is just not that great
an idea.

Now on the other hand, the more "telephoto-like" your old OM-mount lens
is, the better (on average) it'll perform on an Oly DSLR, because such
lenses are already "telecentric" designs, and they better suit the way
the imaging chip accepts light.  My 100/2.0 OM Zuiko is a fabulous
performer on the E-1 and E-410 I own, but the 21/2.0 is simply "okay"
(and is basically a "normal" FOV lens in the Four-Thirds format).

Garth