[OM] Re: Shutter-drag, the Queen of all Application Notes

Subject: [OM] Re: Shutter-drag, the Queen of all Application Notes
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 11:26:14 -0800 (PST)
> Now, how do I
> do it automatically with the E-1 and FL-36 -- without using Manual?
> Would exposure compensation do it?

Well, exposure compensation functions on the camera/flash are just
means to defeat the automation.  No, you don't have to go to Manual.
I'm not as extremist as Chuck is on that.

What I do is usually the following for my "party/event" shoot:

ISO 400. This gives me adequate working distance and flash power
without burning up batteries. My flash recycle times are quicker this
way.  If my flash is doing full-dumps, I bump the ISO up to 800.

My flash is a Vivitar 285HV.  I set the AUTO mode to YELLOW. This is
the same as doing auto equivelent on your FL-36.  Based on the ISO,
the flash-calculator dial shows me what my recommended aperture is.
Make note that this recommendation is usually a little optimistic.

The E-1 is set to Aperture-Priority Mode. The Aperture is set to what
the flash calculator dial tells me plus a smidge for attitude.
However....

With the E-1 set to Aperture-Priority, and a NON-DEDICATED flash, the
camera will expose the background as though there is NO flash at all.
 (I'm not totally sure what the dedicated FL-36 does in this case).
Anyway, what you will need to do is use the EXPOSURE-COMPENSATION to
dial down the background.  I have my E-1 programmed with -2 stops on
the auto-exposure.

Oh, this is where one really cool feature of the E-1 comes in--the
memories.  Thanks for the memories!  Memory Recall #2 on my camera is
set to ISO 400, Daylight WB, -2 exposure compensation and F5.6. All I
have to do is make sure I'm in Aperture-Priority and just recall #2.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com