[OM] Re: Darkroom V2

Subject: [OM] Re: Darkroom V2
From: John Morton <loncayeway@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 14:05:13 -0800 (PST)
I've put together a couple of darkrooms in the past, both using not much more
space than you describe. One was for a university's student newspaper (a
converted bathroom on the upstairs floor of an old house the university owned)
and one was for a small management company which handled bands and models...
that one was constructed in the rafters (the 'loft' area) of a small (strip
mall-type) warehouse space.

  The second example was by far the more constricted of the two, but also the
most innovative. Central to this design - and I think that this concept might
really help you with your project - was a custom sink: constructed out of
particle board, it was sized (and sloped) to fit the space and to hold all of
the development trays... then painted (a marine paint, I believe), and sealed
with several heavy coats of varathane. The end result was a waterproof
development area sized to the available space that easily doubled for mixing
chemicals - and washing and drying equipment.

  Many years later, a friend in British Columbia became the Canadian
distributor for a German company's (Kemper) product that was used for
industrial-strength sealing (major installations, parking surfaces, etc.). This
product was essentially a mat of polypropylene fiber - a 'felt of plastic
fiber' - which was cut to size and shape, installed... and then completely
soaked with an plastic-like epoxy kind of liquid which, once it hardened, was
impervious to anything short of a meteorite strike.

  If I were to construct a custom darkroom for my own use, I would definitely
go with that kind of custom sink, but would line it with some kind of textile
fiber/felt that was soaked with a plastic resin. I think that would be perfect.

  John Morton