[OM] Re: Walking and shooting in Brooklyn - OT equipment

Subject: [OM] Re: Walking and shooting in Brooklyn - OT equipment
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:11:29 -0800
Chris Barker wrote:
> Thanks, Moose, that was interesting.
>
> Some of the photos were less interesting for me, mainly the shots
> where there was no theme or point of interest (e.g. MG 3409 in
> Potpourri, which has lower legs cut off, one chap with his eyes
> closed, no theme or point of interest).
And I thought that was the interesting one, LOL. Somehow the
uninteresting one didn't get into Potpourri, but is here.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Brooklyn/People/Tech/slides/_MG_3410.html>

I saw 3309 as a different way of looking a people on the street, showing
many of them and their way of being at a fair, rather than the
conventional focus on one or two people. 3310 is an abject failure of
the idea, everyone looking away or stone faced. 3309 isn't perfect, but
I rather like the collage of people, all doing their own thing, but as a
group saying something about the affair.

Close up, left to right, we have purposeful enjoyment moving left, young
urban couple smiling enjoying the scene, slightly older urban white
couple engaged in each other, not what's going on around them, young
white couple not engaged in each other, but in their individual worlds,
one apparently withdrawn/disengaged, the other apparently quite unhappy,
neither having a good time, and the guy with the interesting face and
expression. What is that reaction, and to what?

In the background, there's a blonde with a nice a___, three portraits of
people manning booths or on the opposite sidewalk and the woman in red,
bending her ear toward her motor-mouth companion.

I see it as a whole series of stories, all happening together, yet
separate, as aspect of a street fair that's easy to be in, but hard to
capture in an image.
> But the majority were great fun or quite arresting (e.g. MG 3394cr which is a
> clever juxtaposition as well as being well coloured;
I haven't titled these images only partly because of the time involved.
Also partly because I like the idea of people discovering what I saw
themselves. This would have been titled something like "Two Portraits",
"Black & White" or some such, which rather gives the game away.
> and MG 3424cr2 which is a good shot of a pretty lady).

More than one of those, I thought. :-)
> MG 3433cr2 is a very interesting study: the chin is cut off,
> concentrating the viewer's attention on the pattern in the lady's
> hair;
The cut off chin isn't intentional, just part of the game, although I
don't mind it, as the hair was the thing. She was moving fast, and I
wanted to make sure to get the hair, so I didn't want her to turn toward
me. So I was doing a sort of fast, inconspicuous shuffle behind her
through a crowd - and didn't frame perfectly.
> but MG 3438cr holds no attraction for me.

Nor for me. I think the shot was late and missed an interpersonal
interaction. Potpourri is meant to be a sort of warts and all
chronological record, including the ones that didn't work, although I
used only one where I had what were essentially duplicates. The other
sets are more selective. I do see that I left out another loser, noted
above. I did delete several shots in camera on the spot, mostly those
where someone walked in front of the subject and I got an OOF shot of
the intruder or that were hopelessly OOF.

Another reason to have a rather complete set is that I know my taste
isn't everyone's, and it might be interesting to see if one I don't care
for is one of someone else's favourites.
> I have a feeling that one of my favourites is MG 3455cr and I think
> that it's because a) three people are happy and smiling, b) the
> triangle formed by the smiling mouths makes for good composition, c)
> the crop gets rid of the larger chap's hair and other distractions,
> d) the lighting and colour are good.

Thanks, I like that one too. They are laughing at the older, OOF fellow
in 3452. He was obviously a very amusing fellow, and I'm sorry I missed
the focus on him. He was quite animated and moved after I focused. It
was darker than the shot looks, late day, between tall buildings, and I
didn't have the DOF I would have liked. I couldn't hear what was so
amusing, but somehow I think he looks like he is probably speaking
French anyway.
> I didn't look through all of them, I'm sorry to say, but I think I got a
> flavour of what you were doing.
Thanks for looking and especially for the feedback. I expect this
gallery to be around for some time, and in some form or another to be
part of a larger gallery project, so you can come back anytime. :-)
> It looked like a fun time; is Brooklyn always like that, or was it a carnival?

In People>Potpourri, the first three shots, my first soft serve with
sprinkles, people as a performance/protest piece on the street and Carol
Anne and her sister on the Brooklyn bridge, are on a fine Saturday
morning. If you look under Things>Brooklyn Bridge at 3277, you will see
how many people such a nice Fall day brings out. The bridge has a
pedestrian deck above the vehicle deck, soooo much more pleasant than
strolling next to rushing traffic. In 3278, I was lucky to find a break
in the people so I could show the bridge tower and walkway. To the left
of the center line is for pedestrians and to the right for bicycles, one
of which appears to have fallen.

After the Bridge, we went down into a neighborhood recently named Dumbo.
An old warehouse district between the footings of the Brooklyn and
Manhatten Bridges, it was, I was told, a very scary place not many years
ago. Now rapidly converting into lofts an such, it has become quite
trendy, with hip young couples sipping their lattes while the kids rest
in expensive, Italian strollers (prams).

You can see one of the parks on the water in the area in Things>Art &
Craft, 3280, where a piece of art is being put up, which is seen as
intended at night in the next shots. So some of the folks in 3304 - 3350
were in the area for the evening outdoor art show, but I suspect the
area would have been busy anyway (and it was more crowded than any of my
shots show, except maybe 3306). A high density part of a big city on a
gorgeous weekend with winter unseen, but on its way, and everybody gets
outdoors.

Sunday was indeed a special day, the Atlantic Antic, an annual fair on
Atlantic Ave., a very big, crowded affair.

Moose