[OM] Re: Walking and shooting in Brooklyn - OT equipment

Subject: [OM] Re: Walking and shooting in Brooklyn - OT equipment
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:43:12 -0800
Larry wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
>>> Got lost in the tree and was born in Chicago in a Jewish family of
>>> Polish origins

What an amazing sentence I am supposed to have written! Looking back, I
see the first part is quoted text from Chuck, married without ellipsis
to something I quoted from a web site. Almost makes some sort of sense?
> Interesting perspective and great comments on an exciting area of the
> county,
Thanks! I was wondering how far it is from your stomping grounds. It's
only my second visit to Brooklyn, each several days long. I was at a
hotel on Central Park So. for 2-3 days years ago and drove through to
visit the Cloisters a couple of years ago. Big city downtowns like lower
Manhattan, or SF, for that matter, don't much interest me. Brooklyn is
an interesting and engaging place that I'm getting to know bit by bit.

Carol Anne's sister and family live in Carroll Gardens and don't have a
car or space for us to stay, so we stay South of the Park, where there
are a bunch of B&Bs and drive about town. When we visit them, we do a
lot of walking.
> though I do get an overall "Nice place to visit" "Give me the west coast any
> day" feeling from their photographer.

True enough, in a way. More generally, big cities are places to visit,
not live, for me. Although I live in the midst of a large metro area, I
live in wooded hills with small, windy streets, no sidewalks and a large
park along the crest above us. It is a very quiet and peaceful place,
with scads of birds, all sorts of small wildlife, resident deer, and
both a mountain lion sighting nearby and I've seen a coyote up the
street, but no mountain lion closer than the park. Prospect Park is
beautiful, but the park nearby here is much bigger, less crowded, more
natural and abuts watershed lands and a reservoir to the East. My TOPE 9
image is a view from the ridge in the park looking NE.
<http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=9&pic=57> Very West Coast
and very non-urban.

Also, when my mother's father left Utah to go to dental school in
Calif., he swore he would never see snow in person again, and kept that
promise for almost 70 years until his death. I grew up where snow was
something one visits by choice, near, but not too near. And I'll have to
admit the thought of a winter anywhere in the NE doesn't appeal to me.
So rural Maine is no different than NY to me in that respect.

I'll be back in Brooklyn, likely next year, but not in the winter. :-)

Moose