[OM] Re: Colour or B&W lenses ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Colour or B&W lenses ?
From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:51:59 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Wayne Harridge wrote:

> Just snipped this from a photo.net forum, comments please:

> The Mamiya lenses are OK for color, not so good for B&W. Get the 6x7 if
> you can scrape up the cash. The quality difference in formats is
> considerable. 6x7 is a wonderfully proportioned negative.

<snip>

I think this just reflects the poster's personal taste. He does not get
the look he wants with Mamiya, that's pretty much his personal problem.
Think about how many other factors can influence the tonality and contrast
- light at the location, choice of film, exposure time, choice of
developer, development time, print exposure time, choice of paper, print
development time, choice of print developer, light at the viewing
location (or substitute the digital process for the chemical print, same
difference). Is the lens really such a big contributor there?

Lenses for color photography need to be achromatic, or better yet,
apochromatic (if you can afford it). A lens with no such correction would
have a more diffuse look in B&W. But in any case all modern lenses (for
SLR photography, anyway) have this correction.

priit.