[OM] Re: OT equipment excitement time

Subject: [OM] Re: OT equipment excitement time
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:54:42 +1100
Hmmmm...
Trying desperately to remain within the realms of Philosophy and not
stray into the mysterious country that for me is Physics -
Unlike the piece of paper, time would appear to be an infinitely
divisible continuum. To imagine a scenario where there is a  'before'
and 'after' the opening of the package is too limiting and not only
are there a number of possible states involved in the arrival/
acquisition but it may well echo almost identical situations in the
past and future when other lenses arrived/will arrive. Thus it is
possible to induce and deduce - activities which require not only the
ability to remember but also an awareness of a future.
There was an unusual seer, Helenus of Troy, son of Priam, brother of
Cassandra who had the unusual ability to 'predict' the past - that is
to identify the actual events that led to the present rather than the
supposed ones and in accurate detail rather than mediated through the
mist of memory. A much admired skill. The past is as much a mystery
and as uncertain as the future in most senses. If presented with two
pieces of paper that appear to be cut from one, it is by no means
certain that they were - every piece of paper we handle was cut from
a larger one (even a 2.7 x 10m studio roll) but we do not normally
see it in those terms. Its past is concealed. Its future is probably
clearer to us. Our experience of time extends into the future as much
as into the past and sometimes more so as that is where we are going
at all times and as when we are driving, we tend to look forward with
far more care.
Time as a human artifact does not so much distinguish between types
of things but rather between the condition and position of things in
various phases. Not different things but the same things in different
positions. Time itself is not spacial but does define the spacial
position and condition of 'things'. Agreed, not a mere fourth spatial
dimension but not multi-dimensional either perhaps, being of a
different order. 'Dimension' implies spacial measurement.
My brane 'erts, both in the past that was my present, the present
that will be my past and the foreseeable future.
It's far too difficult an idea to leave to physicists.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx