[OM] Re: Colour or B&W lenses ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Colour or B&W lenses ?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:05:14 -0500
I'm with priit.  The fundamental requirement for lenses is the same
whether color or B&W.  Each has to accurately reproduce the image in
full color on the surface of the film and that will require an
apochromatic lens. (red, green and blue all brought to the same focus).
  You'd have to go back a long, long way to find camera lenses that were
simply achromatic (just red and blue brought to the same focus).

I would admit of the possibility that certain B&W films might have
sensitivity in the IR or UV wavelengths that might be attenuated by some
lenses and less attenuated by others.  But, unless for a specifically
advertised effect, I would consider that a defect of the film in
recording something other than what I see.  I'd change films.

If the B&W and color film (or sensor) all record the same range of the
spectrum then I would expect to be able to post process the color to be
able to closely mimic the B&W original.

Chuck Norcutt