[OM] Re: Flash for E500

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash for E500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:31:23 -0500
Canyon digitals produced after the 10D and 300D support up to 250 volts
on the hot shoe and the PC connector (if the camera has one) although
the wording in the manual is much more wishy-washy about it than Canyon
tech support.  The QA300 or 310 would not be a problem.

In September 2006 Nils Frohberg forwarded us a note from Olympus Europe
specifying that the E-500 and all E-system cameras with a hot shoe would
support 200 volts.  The E-1 manual (on page 108) says: "Some flashes
available on the market operate with a synchro terminal with a
voltage of 250 V or over. If one of these is used, it may damage the
camera, and/or the camera may not function normally...".  One can be a
little unnerved by this statement or read it very carefully and deduce
that the camera is protected up to 250 volts but not higher.

The E-3 manual isn't available on line so I don't know what that says.
The E-510 manual is mum on the voltage limits of non-Oly flashes but
warns that flash communication connectors other than the main trigger
terminal might damage the camera.  OM dedicated TTL flash contacts don't
seem to bother my Canyon even though the Canyon manual warns against TTL
flash units from other manufacturers.  But I don't have a Canyon
dedicated digital flash at the moment to see if the camera is still
fully working.  :-)

I think the manuals are often worded to instill a large measure of FUD
to encourage OEM flash sales but, when confronted with a direct
question, tech support has to answer with the truth.

Dr. Flash