[OM] Re: Lighting an airship? was Re: Re: Flash for E500

Subject: [OM] Re: Lighting an airship? was Re: Re: Flash for E500
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 11:50:17 +1100

> Perhaps not a great question for Dr. No-Flash, though wonder
> if there is any ballpark relationship is available for the
> energy? stored in the monster flash capacitors and GN---if
> the later is even meaningful with these things. One would
> have to specify the set-up. ? Conversely, how many w-s in a T32? Mike

There might be a "rule of thumb" for certain designs but too many variables
to predict I'd say.  You'd have to consider things like: cables (resistance,
capacitance & inductance), flash tube (efficiency, shape & size), reflector
(shape, size) and any other type of light modifier used (umbrella, softbox,
snoot) and there are probably other factors too.

Energy stored in the capacitor is easy enough to calculate, but for guide
number you would have to just measure it.

...Wayne