[OM] Re: Lighting an airship? was Re: Re: Flash for E500

Subject: [OM] Re: Lighting an airship? was Re: Re: Flash for E500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 20:55:04 -0500
I'm afraid I can't help you with guide numbers for monster flash units
but a T-32 has approximately 100 watt seconds... at least by metered
comparision between T-32s and a Lumedyne flash head with a 50-100-200
watt second power pack.  At the 100 watt second setting the Lumedyne and
T-32 are within 0.1 stop of each other at both the center of the field
and the edge of a 28mm field of view where both flashes fall off 1/2
stop.  I'd call them dead even since the 0.1 stop differential is less
than the differences between multiple T-32s.  But all four of my T-32s
are within 1/3 stop of each other.

My Alien Bee B-800's which are supposed to be 320 watt seconds only just
match the Lumedyne at the 200 watt seconds setting or the output from
two T-32s.  They also fall off 1/2 stop at the edge of a 28mm field of
view.  It's quite possible that the B-400 (advertised as 160 watt
seconds) is no more powerful than a T-32.  I think watt seconds is
fraught with to much market speak to know what is real.  But my flash
meter, he don't lie.

Dr. Flash