[OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop

Subject: [OM] Re: Laptop vs Desktop
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:58:09 -0700
Moose wrote:

[snip]

> Garth, what have you been smoking?

Various meats, mostly.  ;-)

> Regular Vista doesn't open up
> "larger-than-4-Gigabyte RAM address space". Only 64 Vista with an
> appropriate processor does that - and then many 32 bit apps won't run.
> 32 bit Vista has the same address space and issues as XP. Actually using
> more than about 3.2 of your 4gb of memory with either requires the
> addition of memory swapping software. And I couldn't found anybody with
> much good to say about that solution.

With my system, it's about 2.9 Gigs (the video card's a real address
space hog).

Remember, many years ago I cared a *lot* more about the nuances of all
the hardware/software combos I was using than I do now.  Now, I depend
on others (mostly, God help me, salespeople) to be reasonably informed
about certain advantages/disadvantages of the various options I'm
choosing come upgrade or repurchase time.  I've simply been informed
that Vista removes the 4 Gig limit.  If this isn't true, then I'm
buggered, but since I'm buggered most of the time anyways, I'm not that
concerned, and I'm mostly comfortable.

Besides, the pro shop here in Calgary just phoned me and said my E-3's
waiting for me.  So I've got a big grin on my face, and don't care about
me silly 'puter 'ardware right now.  ;-)

Garth