[OM] More RAM for XP (was: Laptop vs Desktop)

Subject: [OM] More RAM for XP (was: Laptop vs Desktop)
From: John Morton <loncayeway@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:34:54 -0800 (PST)
Garth, have you seen this?

  Allocating memory above 2 GB with 64-bit processors   Photoshop CS2 is a
32-bit application. When it runs on a 32-bit operating system, such as Windows
2000 and Windows XP Professional, it can access the first 2 GB of RAM on the
computer.The operating system uses some of this RAM, so the Photoshop Memory
Usage preference displays only a maximum of 1.6 or 1.7 GB of total available
RAM. If you are running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2, you can
set the 3 GB switch in the boot.ini file, which allows Photoshop to use up to 3
GB of RAM.     Important: The 3 GB switch is a Microsoft switch and may not
work with all computers. Contact Microsoft for instructions before you set the
3 GB switch, and for troubleshooting the switch. You can search on the
Microsoft support page for 3gb for information on this switch.     When you run
Photoshop CS2 on a computer with a 64-bit processor (such as a, Intel Xeon
processor with EM64T, AMD Athlon 64, or Opteron processor), and
 running a 64-bit version of the operating system (Windows XP Professional x64
Edition), that has 4 GB or more of RAM, Photoshop will use 3 GB for it's image
data. You can see the actual amount of RAM Photoshop can use in the Maximum
Used By Photoshop number when you set the Maximum Used by Photoshop slider in
the Memory & Image Cache preference to 100%. The RAM above the 100% used by
Photoshop, which is from approximately 3 GB to 3.7 GB, can be used directly by
Photoshop plug-ins (some plug-ins need large chunks of contiguous RAM),
filters, actions, etc. If you have more than 4 GB (to 6 GB), the RAM above 4 GB
is used by the operating system as a cache for the Photoshop scratch disk data.
Data that previously was written directly to the hard disk by Photoshop, is now
cached in this high RAM before being written to the hard disk by the operating
system. If you are working with files large enough to take advantage of these
extra 2 GB of RAM, the RAM cache can speed
 performance of Photoshop.     The default RAM allocation setting is 55%. This
setting should be optimal for most users. To get the ideal RAM allocation
setting for your system, change the RAM allocation in 5% increments and watch
the performance of Photoshop in the Performance Monitor. You must quit and
restart Photoshop after each change to see the change take effect.
[...]

  I have 4 Gigs of RAM on my photo editing computer - was disappointed when I
started Photoshop up for the first time with this configuration (when I
upgraded to a dual core, 64 bit processor) but then I found out about this
switch - enabled it right away and it has worked beautifully for me ever since.

  John M.