[OM] Re: 410-510 prices

Subject: [OM] Re: 410-510 prices
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:05:57 -0800
I really doubt that. The cameras that run on a continuous low volume
line are Canons and Nikons in the $4K to $8K range. At an opening bid
of $1699 the E-3 is priced a hundred bucks less than a D300 which is a
high production camera. If the E-3 is going to be assembled like a
1DMk III what are they leaving out?  The 4/3 sensor could not be that
much cheaper to produce. Since the D300 outspecs the E-3 in several
areas that a salesman could easily talk about and demonstrate I would
guess that the E-3 price would drift down right away to somewhere
above the amateur pack of 10MP competition which is hovering around
the $1K to 1.2K mark. It may not slide much though. I would guess
around $1499. I think the choice that will be faced most often in a
store is going to be whether the e-3 is THAT much more desirable than
a 40D.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA