[OM] Re: 410-510 prices

Subject: [OM] Re: 410-510 prices
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:34:31 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I really doubt that.
You could well be right. I'm just speculating. Mostly base on what
appeared to be a fairly long production run for the E-1. If they make
them all in a batch and it lasted that long, I'm not sure what that says.
> The cameras that run on a continuous low volume
> line are Canons and Nikons in the $4K to $8K range. At an opening bid
> of $1699 the E-3 is priced a hundred bucks less than a D300 which is a
> high production camera. If the E-3 is going to be assembled like a
> 1DMk III what are they leaving out?
I was really thinking of something in-between, and again assuming an E-1
line retooled to produce the E-3. If they are doing the E-3 and 410/510
in batches, maybe that means they will be able to compete in the model
race with timely new entires.
> The 4/3 sensor could not be that much cheaper to produce.
I'm out of date. I know that it used to be true that yield, and thus
price, on a chip 1/4 the size made a difference of much more than four
times in unit cost. It's simple mathematics on the rate of flaws per
area of the wafer vs. individual chip size. One flaw ruins 25% of four
smaller chips in a given area but 100% of one big chip. So, depending on
the relationship of flaw incidence and the size of the larger chip, it's
even possible to have a yield rate of about 0% for the large chip and
50% or better for the smaller one. Not saying that's what's happening
here, but it was a reason for very high initial prices on some
microprocessors in the past.
> Since the D300 outspecs the E-3 in several
> areas that a salesman could easily talk about and demonstrate I would
> guess that the E-3 price would drift down right away to somewhere
> above the amateur pack of 10MP competition which is hovering around
> the $1K to 1.2K mark.
Can't disagree there. If live view isn't a big deal for a new buyer, the
E-3 has little edge over the K10D, which is much less expensive.
> It may not slide much though. I would guess around $1499. I think the choice
> that will be faced most often in a
> store is going to be whether the e-3 is THAT much more desirable than a 40D.

Tough choice for a new buyer. For someone with an investment in one or
the other brand lenses, pretty much a no-brainer.

Moose