[OM] Re: OM lens – Sigma Pantel on E body

Subject: [OM] Re: OM lens – Sigma Pantel on E body
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:59:33 -0500
Your lens is perfectly normal.  OM lenses are normally fully open.
Other cameras may have their lenses normally closed.  When you turn the
aperture ring on an OM lens all it does is move an internal cam that
sets a stop point.  There is no physical connection between aperture
ring and aperture leaves.  Actually closing the aperture down is the job
of the camera body.  The camera body presses on the len's activation
lever which allows (not forces) the blades to close down to the stop
point set by the aperture ring.  The DOF preview button also acts the
same way.  Depressing it allows the blades to close down.

Hold the DOF button down while you turn the aperture ring and you'll see
the blades move with the ring.

Chuck Norcutt