[OM] Re: not only people shots

Subject: [OM] Re: not only people shots
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:48:49 -0800
Wayne Culberson wrote:
> I've often thought that their culture of bright clothing must be an attempt
> to brighten their lives, either deliberately or perhaps subconsciously.
That's my theory. I just wish I had the guts to wear more colorful clothes.
> The landscape is mostly just mud-brown for much of the year. Their houses are
> mud blocks, inside and outside. The bright clothing is about the only thing
> bright and cheery. But then again, maybe there is another reason for it if
> you knew their cultural history.

Can't go back too far, as the dyes available were pretty limited until
recently. The Spaniards would have introduced indigo blue and cochineal
red, but the poor couldn't afford them. Those bright colors in your
photos are courtesy of chemical dye developments during the industrial
revolution.

Yeah, my first wife did her Master's dissertation on natural dyes. We
had pots bubbling on the stove for months.

Moose