[OM] Re: hi again & question about sales here

Subject: [OM] Re: hi again & question about sales here
From: "Peter Leyssens" <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:13:02 +0100
Hi everybody,

Let me answer the answers I've already received so far.  I may have
missed some, as I'm on the digest.

I'll try to post my for-sale list this evening, I'm at work at the
moment.  I still need to take pictures of all the equipment and I'll
be doing that tonight and over the weekend, so if you want them, just
ask them.  (I'm using my girlfriend's cheap digicam for that, I don't
have anything digital myself yet, that's what the revenue of this sale
will be used for.)

> Things have scattered every which way here. Many have stayed with
> Olympus, generally happily. Others, like me, have gone to Canyon back
> when the E-1 disappointed me in a couple of important respects. With C,
> as with Oly, I can use an adapter to mix my older OM mount lenses with
> AF lenses. The E-3 looks like they got much more right this time around.
>
> There are also a couple who have gone with Pent*x and a handful of Nik*n
> converts. Many are still mixing film on OM with digital.
> Moose

Moose,

I'm currently considering going to a Ricoh GR-Digital or GR-D II with
the "tele"convertor that stretches the 28mm (35mm equivalent) fixed
lens to a mindboggling 40mm.  I'm hoping it will feel close enough to
my recent range finder experience (Zorki, Leica iiic).  It'll
definitely be pocketable, which I consider to be very important.  And
it's charming: it's not as shocking as waving a Nikon D3 with a white
cannon (double n) in people's faces.  I also read good stuff about the
amount of noise: there's plenty and it shows up as nice grain when
converted to B&W.  Looking forward to learning how to process raw and
to do more than the basic digital editing I've done so far (crop,
colour cast, rotate, perspective).

Despite the fact that I'm so used to very small cameras these days,
I'm also thinking about getting an SLR at a later date, when my
travels would pick up again.  I used to travel a lot for work, but
it's very quiet now.  When I start flying all over again, I'm thinking
of an E-3, 11-22, 25/f1.4 and 40-150 combo.  For fun, I could use my
OM 50/f1.4 and 90/f2 from time to time, too.  The rest of the lenses
will go out of the door.  The E-3 is a really big beast that in itself
weighs almost as much as my OM-4T+90/f2, but I've handled a Canon D400
recently and I noticed a grip really does help.  All the E-3 features
sound so great that it's hard to resist.  The price is quite
affordable (coming from Leica, everything is affordable), so I can
only imagine myself staying with the E-510 for size reasons.  With 3
lenses to carry around, the body weight is far less decisive.

> The first thing you'll want to consider is which of your OM lenses
> will work well on digital. There's a number of wide lenses I wish I'd
> never sold (16mm, 18mm, 21/3.5) as they work really well on a Canon
> 5D it seems. Apparently the smaller aperture models are better than
> faster. Some love an OM 200mm on an Oly digital (400mm, f4 equivalent!).
> A friend who works in a camera store just put an OM 50/1.4 late model
> on a Canon 10D and was astonished by how much better it was than the
> good quality (but not L grade) zoom that he'd been using. And he
> traded it in for US$25.
> Andrew Fildes

Andrew,

I've considered that.  As stated above, the 40-150 looks like the
ideal long lens with an IS body, as it's very pocketable.  The 90/f2
will stay and so will the 50/f1.4 except if somebody offers me a
*really* good price.  I have a 200/f4 but I don't see a reason to keep
it.

> Stephan Van den Zegel
> Second thought... is your om3 suffering form battery drain too ? I'm looking
> for an OM3 that doesn't... (of course I've got one... that leaks)

I'm afraid it does have the battery drain.  Anyway, I'm only selling
the OM-3 if somebody gives me a *lot* of money for it.  I'd like to
keep a basic set for nostalgia purposes (OM-3, 50/f1.4 and 90/f2).

The list will be up this evening or tomorrow !

Peter.