[OM] Re: Flash for E-410 with 11-22

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash for E-410 with 11-22
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 11:39:30 +0000
On 25/11/2007, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Put a T-32 on a Stroboframe QuickFlip 350 flash bracket.  Shoot in
> manual (or, ahem, auto) mode.  It will work just as well (and likely
> better) and cost you a lot less.  Lots of other low cost options too
> from Sunpak and Vivitar.

Which reminds me to mention that I've just semi-wasted 50 quid on a
flashgun.  A Sunpak G4500.  I did some research before bidding and
could find practically no info about it, then I found a post in a
forum somewhere out there which said it's what's known in the US as a
544.  So I looked that up, and it turns out B&H have a table of specs
for these things.  Table says it's got 7-stops of manual power control
- yippee, that's I want!

So I bid, I win, it shows up - nice clean, practically unused-looking
unit.... but no power ratio control.  I do some more searching.... I
find a pdf manual for it.... which says it's known as an auto 455 (not
544).  Oh well.

On the plus side, the trigger voltage measures about 7.5 V, so it's
quite safe for an E-thing, the auto exposure system works as expected,
and the quick-detach handle is great for doing the flashgun semaphore.

Which brings me to the bit that's relevant to this topic:  As Chuck
says, getting the flash off the camera is the way to go.  Something
like the Sunpak 544 will do very nicely, without breaking the bank.
You'll need a hot shoe PC socket adapter to use it, but that's no big
deal, and if you separate the handle from the camera bracket, you can
move it quite a way off-camera very easily, and get some nice
side-lighting too.

Oh yes, they have a built in tripod socket too, so you can set them up
pointing at a reflector for a more studio-like setup very easily.