[OM] Re: Flash for E-410 with 11-22

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash for E-410 with 11-22
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:07:16 -0500
If anyone is interested in doing the manual/auto flash thing I have four
Sunpak flash units that I now consider surplus to my collection.  I have
two 422D's and two 522's.  The 422D has a guide number of 100 at ISO 100
and 5 stop manual control. The 522 has a guide number of 120 at ISO 100
and 7 stop manual control.  Both have bounce and swivel heads.

The 422D is the interchangeable TTL foot version of the non-TTL 383
which is still sold new.  Except for TTL control in the foot the older
TTL flash units are the same features and power as this much newer 383.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52799-REG/Sunpak_0383_383_Super_Auto_Flash.html#goto_itemInfo>
Both 422D's have OM TTL feet for them as well as standard feet (no TTL
contacts).  Actually, I'll have to check.  There may be only 1 standard
foot.  But it doesn't matter.  The OM TTL feet work OK on the Canyon 5D
and the Mynolta A1 after being fitted with the Mynolta/ISO foot adapter
(but no TTL, of course).  I think I also have feet for one or two other
cameras.  Maybe early Mynolta and Pentax.  Probably just flash ready
indicators w/o TTL.

The 522 is an earlier version of the 544 you thought you were getting. I
don't have the specs for the 544 but I know it's not much different.
The 522 is a handle mount flash ala the T-45 (but the T-45 is 1/3-1/2
stop brighter).  I also have a remote OM TTL sensor head for one of
them.  It mounts in the OM flash shoe and provides TTL control from the
camera via a short cable running to the flash.  The 522 holds 6 AA's in
a quick change battery holder.  I think I have one spare battery holder
but with 6 2500mah NiMH batteries in there you're not likely to need the
quick change feature.

I also have some lesser flash units.  I have a couple of Vivitar 550FD's
which are handy for traveling really small and light.  I think one is
NIB.  Guide number 80 at ISO 100 (but only suitable for 50mm or longer
lenses unless bounced).  No swivel but two auto modes plus manual and
TTL control for OM/Minolta/Pentax.  Also a Vivitar 2800 which also has
guide number 80 at 50mm coverage.  This is a lesser model with no TTL.

As many of you already realize I never shoot TTL any more on any camera.
  For on-camera flash (on a bracket) I have switched to the Canyon
540EZ.  Like the Sunpak 522 it also has a 7 stop manual range but most
importantly has a powerful autofocus assist light that reaches to 15 meters.

I still use four T-32's but only as portable off-camera flash units
mounted behind umbrellas and powered by high voltage power packs.  The
T-32 has a rather rare feature in that it doesn't need AA power when
used with an external pack.  Most other flashes need low voltage AA
power for the control electronics so the T-32's are lightweight and compact.

If anyone is interested in any of these Sunpak or Vivitar flash units I
will also profile their actual power output at all manual settings using
a flash meter.  No flash unit (even when new) measures up to the
manufacturer's claimed guide number.   Most are at least 1/3 or even 1/2
stop low.  The manual power controls also tend to be a bit uneven.
What's claimed to be a 1 stop change may be only 2/3 or even 1/3.

Dr. Flash