[OM] Re: Retouching refined [was Anyone use retouchers?]

Subject: [OM] Re: Retouching refined [was Anyone use retouchers?]
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:47:17 -0700

Moose wrote:

> I don't have a usual, as I almost never do portrait retouching. This is
> far the most extensive effort I recall doing. That's why I thought it
> was so interesting and enjoyable - a real learning experience. I'm
> rather pleased with the result.

Well, you have done a fine job of it, IMHO :-)

>> Sometimes I make the shiny reflective areas a bit smaller or not quite
>> as bright, but it depends on the image and how distracting that is. Hers
>> are very small.
>>
> I agree. But how one believes one appears and, how others see you can be
> wildly different. If she is self-conscious about her teeth, it doesn't
> matter what others think, so I would downplay the bright spots. Same the
> with the freckles. It seems that freckles are generally cute to
> observers and all to often not cute to wearers.

You're completely correct with the freckles comment. And yes, the teeth
were of particular concern to her. She's in the process of undergoing
some corrective procedures for the jaw that locks shut and the bite
that's not correct.

> As an adult still plagued with acne, even as the first wrinkles creep
> in, with a birthmark and some patches of rough skin, and in light of
> your story and the version selected, I imagine a person long unhappy
> with her skin. I wouldn't be surprised if she 'sees' her face as a
> deplorable mess, with all the small imperfections we would hardly notice
> magnified in her imagination. It's all projection, of course, but that
> doesn't mean it is necessarily inaccurate.

No, it doesn't mean it's inaccurate. I have a feeling there's a good
deal of truth to that, mixed up with what her peers' senior pictures
look like. I've seen many of them in the year book, and the truth is a
lot of them are very bright, with very smooth plastic glowing skin. I
would imagine that she was looking to copy that same look for herself.
Just a guess.

I'm glad you enjoyed playing around with this image, it was my pleasure
to watch and learn.
Thank you,
Candace