[OM] Re: OK, before I blow this thing up tell if I'm about to screw up .

Subject: [OM] Re: OK, before I blow this thing up tell if I'm about to screw up . . .
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:40:28 -0600
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I've put the Durst M305 together and it is really in super nice  condition.
> Got to thinking about shipping it overseas and finding out it  doesn't work,
> so I went out and bought a 220-110 Volt 200 watt converter at the  local
> Fry's.
>  The transformer on the enlarger is 240 volt and the timer is  220 volt. So,
> if I plug the enlarger into the timer and the timer into voltage  converter
> and the voltage converter into the wall 110 socket does it work  properly,
> blow
> up or cook some part of my equipment?  Inquiring minds want  to know.  High
> school physics was a long time ago. Could have asked  one of the guys at
> Fry's
> but that might have looked a lot like just going ahead  and doing it and
> seeing
> what happens.  <[B^)   Bill  Barber

To the best of my knowledge, the difference between 220 and 240
shouldn't be the problem.  You need to make sure of the line frequency
fo the timer and make sure that matches what the converter puts out.
You should also try to find the max wattage for both and make sure you
don't exceed the 200w the converter can handle.  In fact, I would stay a
bit under 200, since the converter will be running warm enough without
running close to capacity.  If it works for a short time, you may want
one converter on each device.

Now, I just popped over and read something that said you should match
the converter as closely as you can to the device's wattage....hmmmm.

And now that I think of it, it said the Euro standard was 230v +or-, so
240 to 220 may be too big of a swing.  So you may want a separate
converter for each anyway.

The biggest problem is going to be the timer, which probably uses line
freq as a time base.  If it's designed to run on 50Hz current, asking it
to run on 60Hz will make it run fast, if at all.  Double-check the specs
on the timer just to be sure.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon